Agape

Finished the Tunic top. Or so I thought. When I tried it on, I found that the neckline continued to gape. What was I doing to cause it to gape so?

as pictured. it gapes.

as pictured. it gapes.

Impatient to finish this tunic and start something else, I pinned the excess and am hoping to pleat it away as an oops design feature.

pinned into place

pinned into place

Will be unpicking the bias binding for the nth time and fix this by tomorrow hopefully.

Burdastyle 06/2010 #102

Burdastyle 06/2010 #102

Burdastyle 06/2010 #102

Last weekend I attempted this pattern. As I fitted in I came to realize that the neckline was shockingly low. It barely skimmed the tops of my…whatever. I had to recut the yoke and redraft the pattern for future use.

The fabric I used for this project is a printed viscose. I think I saw the word rayon in there as well on the label in the fabric shop. Will have to check again.

It’s lightweight and sheeeer. Dopely found this out while fitting. Had to find a lining fabric and the only lining I had was some cheap polyester that frayed and disintegrated on me. Urrrg. It also tugged and pulled no matter how sharp the machine needle was.

I plodded on because this brat of a lining will just be lining. And I need a new lightweight top for summer. The hot days are demanding it.

Today I sewed the bias binding onto the neck and armhole edges only to find that my fitting issues were not a figment of my imagination. And that those issues would haunt me even in the Petite size category. Sigh. At least now I am aware from frustrating trial and error what to do. Despite my broad back I need to narrow the back bodice by an inch by the neckline. And I will need to change the slope of the shoulder by another inch to prevent a gaping front neckline. All that bias binding for nothing. Will be unpicking and adjusting accordingly.

The top followed me into my dreams. I dreamt that it had a bubble hem. This may have been the result of it looking like a tently dress on my petite body. And the weird thing is that, this is a freaking petite sized pattern.

Shall mock up a bubble hem and see what comes up.

For now you can look at the lovely pleats which were the highlight of sewing this top.

pleats before being ironed into submission

pleats before being ironed into submission

flatly ironed

flatly ironed

 

Burdastyle Day

Today I had the luck and misfortune of obtaining the November issue of Burdastyle. We in the lovely country of South Africa are a little behind. The issue I had initially wanted was the December one. Oh well. Next month. But for now I shall page through the November issue and try and visualize new projects. So far no dice. Yet. Maybe after a visit to the fabric store some rainbow burst of sparkling new ideas will illuminate in the dark dusty side of the mind.

Now that I think about it I think it’s the case of too many patterns and too little ideas coming to fruitation past the fabric buying or pattern tracing stages.

I think it’s the muslin’s fault. My inability to want to alter and adjust the pattern to a reasonable fit. I have had sewn some patterns from Burdastyle only to crumble into a heap of dismay. My body is freakishly sized. Why does it not fit the standard? whaaayyyyy? Why am I not a standard cookie cutter size? ehem. Moving on….

 

 

Glitched

Figured out the glitch with the logging in details. I had been using the wrong email address. Have noted this down and moved on. After many frustrated trials of error. Now…

It time to blog baby, er, cough. It time to blog like there’s actual things to post blatherings about.

 

Finally

whew. It’s time to blog now that I’ve figured out the password. Thought this blog would expire from neglect and forgetfulness. There should be a password vault in our head for ease of logging anywhere online other than depending on the internet browser to remember it for us.

Have completed or nearly completed a fair amount of sewing. Will blog about it as soon as pictures are taken. Please pray that I may be gifted a stunning camera soon to take pictures of better clarity. For now what I have will thankfully do.

Otherwise than that I’ve been drooling and imagining new projects. Note the keyword. Imagining.

 

Burdastyle Magazine 12-2011

Finally managed to find a store selling the elusive magazine. Surprisingly it was CNA and not Exclusive Books that had it in stock.

Take note Exclusive Books.

Paging through, I’ve found little that I’d love to sew.

However these are amazing.

trench coat technical drawing

#118 trench coat 12-2011

dress technical drawing

#102 dress with contrasting collar and bow 12-2011

coat technical drawing

#104 wool coat 12-2011

dress technical drawing

#107 v-neck dress

Thing is though. Fabric shopping is required to start on these projects.